Septo rhinoplasty is a combination of two types of surgeries, i.e., Septoplasty and cosmetic Rhinoplasty. Septoplasty is usually for correcting twisted or crooked septum, which in medical terminology is the deviated septum. The septum is the flexible bony or cartilage wall in the nose, which separates the two nostrils. The twisted septum prevents the smooth passage of air. Therefore, straightening it is medically beneficial, which is why Septoplasty is needed. Cosmetic Rhinoplasty is usually integrated with it to make the nose look straight externally as well.
Reasons for deviated septum and its effects
A person may have deviated septum because:
- a. He or she met with an accident or had an injury which affected the shape of the nose.
- b. He or she was born with such a crooked nose.
Over a period, such a crooked nose leads to breathing problems, non-allergic rhinitis, fatigue, and other health issues because of inadequate oxygen reaching the lungs. Therefore, it needs correction as soon as possible.
What does Septoplasty entail?
The Septoplasty surgery that forms an integral part of Septorhinoplasty has five steps, i.e.
- a. An incision made inside the nose gives the surgeon an access to Septum.
- b. The surgeon then lifts the mucous membrane on the Septum
- c. The surgeon now moves the Septum to its correct position, i.e., at the centre, so that air moves straight in from both the nostrils. While doing this, any barriers that exist, whether of bone, cartilage, or tissue, are removed. Usually, however, the surgery is confined to chipping away at the bone, including some of the Turbinates (bony structures on the sides of the nose).
- d. The mucous membrane is then attached on to this relocated Septum
- e. The incision is stitched.
When performed by experienced skillful cosmetic surgeon like Dr. Vikas Gawri, the risks, like septum perforation, or loss of sense of smell, or discolouration, or undesired shape, seem to be trivial.
Dr. Vikas Gawri uses sophisticated technologies and equipment in his clinic help to plan the surgery to perfection, and even monitor it all the time during the surgical procedure so that all risks are avoided at each step. He goes a step further by seeking the help of other prominent surgeons who are predominantly into respiratory system related surgeries rather than cosmetic surgeries. They form part of the team of surgeons in Septorhinoplasty at this clinic.
Septoplasty, though a medical surgery, is also “a nose job.” Therefore, it also comes under Rhinoplasty. It, however, does not focus on external appearance. Thus, Cosmetic Rhinoplasty becomes necessary. Septorhinoplasty is, therefore, a blend of the two types of Rhinoplasty.
- a. Insertion of fatty grafts, in specific positions, to ensure that the cartilage or the bone of the Septum gets required support.
- b. Insertion of fatty grafts to lift the skin.
- c. Chipping away of bone or cartilage to create symmetry and increase or decrease the size of the nostril or nose.
While Rhinoplasty can be performed again if unsuccessful, failure in Septoplasty is a risky proposition. Therefore, it is always advisable to look for some experienced surgeon and a well-equipped clinic. It is also important to check the track record of the clinic offering Septorhinoplasty. Dr. Vikas Gawri is a leading plastic surgeon in Ludhiana with a successful track record in such surgeries.
Before & After
7. If there is any problem after surgery, which surgeon should be approached; the plastic surgeon, or the respiratory surgeon?
8. Is it possible to opt only for Septoplasty tentatively, to reduce costs, instead of Septorhinoplasty?
TESTIMONIALS – COSMETIC SURGERY
I was very much concerned about the way my abdomen looked, loose skin and wrinkles all over, Was not able to wear sarees/crop-tops etc. I got my tummy tuck surgery which totally redefined my looks. All credit goes to Dr. Vikas. Also got fat grafting to my face done here. I am Totally Satisfied.
I have a big tummy which makes me difficult to sit on job for longer hours. I got my Tummy Tuck surgery at Kyra Clinic. It changes my life. I feel more active and energetic now.
I have fatty arms. I got liposuction done and achieved fine arms.
I had a loose breast after my second baby. I wanted to have full breast as before. I got operate. I got the desirable result and will highly recommended Dr. Vikas Gawri for the surgery.
I had a small and flat breast. is a great cosmetic surgeon. After Breast implant done by him successfully, I have a wonderful and attractive body.